Sunday, August 30, 2015

Going places



Hi friends! I have already had people ask me super confused questions about what I’m doing this semester, so since I wanted to start my blog back up anyway, here’s the story. Ever since I came back from West Africa I knew that living and working overseas was probably going to be a part of my future.  And probably in ministry. I decided to spend the rest of my collegiate years gaining knowledge and experience to help me move in that direction.

I already have to take four semesters of a foreign language for my Communication degree, so I figured I might as well take some more classes and add on a French minor. As I neared the end of my fifth semester of French classes I realized that even though I was getting good grades, I am actually really far from being fluent. Part of this may be the fact that I have the ability to remember a ridiculous amount of information for tests but then forget it immediately after, but it is mostly because not many people speak French in southern New Mexico. Like, nobody does.

I realized that for me, just passing classes and getting a minor is not the greatest priority. Actually gaining a functioning level of language that I can use in the future, however, is. So I started looking into options that I could use to gain some fluency. Study abroad ended up being the best option for me right now, since I can use my school scholarships and I can knock out the rest of the classes I need for my minor in a semester.  I looked at several French speaking countries to study in but France ended up being the best place for gaining fluency.

I will be leaving at the end of September to study in a small town an hour and a half from Paris. I am both excited and nervous, but I know that it will be an adventure no matter what. I will be taking all of my classes in French, which is honestly pretty terrifying. I plan to use my blog to keep people (let’s be real, my mom) updated about my travels. Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. What great news! I got the chance to visit France (and several other countries) back in 1985. Wonderful experience that you will cherish for the rest of your life. Glad you will be blogging about it, so that I can also keep up with you. (Aunt Cheryl)

    ReplyDelete